Summer is almost here, the sun has actually been shining, and if you look around at many parks,
pickup games of ultimate frisbee are in full swing. This means it's just about time for summer ultimate
frisbee leagues too!!
The Northwest Ultimate Association is once again sponsoring a Co-Ed Summer Corporate League.
The Boeing Employees Ultimate Frisbee Club (BEUFC) has registered for this fun league.
We are looking forward to another season of fun, exercise and camaraderie. There is still plenty of
room on the team(s) and we always love new members - especially women!! Whether you are a diehard ultimate player or only
vaguely know what the game is but are curious to learn more, we'd be happy to have you join us!
This fun-spirited Boeing team has a wide range of experience levels and our main focus is on having fun,
learning more about the game of ultimate, and improving our skills with the help of each other.
If you are interested, please register at the membership page, be sure to select “Corporate League”.
You can find more information about the Northwest Ultimate Association's Corporate League and rules here.
- Starts: June 8th, 2011
- Ends: August 17, 2011
- FEES: This will be
the same as previous years, $45 for the season or $12 per game if you think
you'll only make a couple; please bring payments to a game or mail to Mandy Scott
at Boeing mailstop 02-CK; Checks Payable to "Boeing Employees
Ultimate Frisbee Club"
- JERSEYS: We have
some extra jerseys from last year available for purchase if you would like one;
email Gina if you're interested (cost is less than $10, shirts only available
in navy blue)
- GAMES: Games will
always be on Wednesday evenings, starting at either 6:30 or 8:30pm (most at
6:30); locations will be at Magnuson in June and July, Southpark in August.
- Playing Time Priority: Based on pre-season practice attendance, if necessary
- ROSTERMANAGER: I
have setup a rostermanager account for our team, which means you will all be
receiving reminder messages for our games each week. In addition, through rostermanager you can
rsvp for each game - THIS IS IMPORTANT because if we are short players on a
particular week we can get some subs ahead of time. You can see the full schedule for the season
(once it is available) on rostermanager as well.
- This year there are 8 teams in
the corporate league, split into an A and B Pool - 4 teams in A, 4 in B. Boeing is likely in the B Pool based on last years performance
relative to all the other teams. It will
be good competition!!
- We'll have 9 weeks of regular
play and the last week will be a party (disc games, food
& drinks, etc!)
- A Pool, foot
blocks and zone defense the first few weeks of the season will be negotiated by
the captains; rules are 11th
Edition (full text can be found at www.discnw.org) and I will also have a paper copy
available at all games;
- This is a 4/3 league, but 5/2 is
negotiable if necessary
- As always, no dangerous play
(watch size mis-matches) and keep the spirit of the game :) There will be prizes for highest score at the end of the season!
- INDEMNITY FORM:
For insurance purposes as a Boeing club, this form must be completed in order
to play with the team. Please bring the
form with you to our game this Wednesday. I will also print out some copies and have them on Wednesday if you forget
to bring one.
- Plan to join us for food and beverages after the games
You can contact us for more questions:
- Attire- We do have some team shirts left for purchase, they are cotton. If you do not wish to purchase a team shirt please bring a dark (we usually wear blue) and a white (not grey, not light blue, WHITE) jersey.
- Rosters- please have them set by the 4th week, generally try to limit teams to employees, family members, significant others, and business related affiliates. If you're still having trouble with numbers, pickups are allowed if cleared with opposing team prior to game start (ringers are discouraged). Note due to Boeing insurance policies we can only have Boeing employees and their relatives play on the corporate team.
- Cones- Both Mandy and Gina have a set of cones; captains will assign someone to be in charge of the cones if there is a week where they cannot make it. If you have cones it does not hurt to bring them as occasionally others may forget their set.
- League format: round robin the first 9 weeks; last week will be a party at the fields with food, beverages, and disc games
- Above all, this is a beginner league. So be friendly and make sure it's a positive experience for everyone. Captains should do their best to be friendly and flexible about gender ratio, zone, pickups and other special requests. The goals here should be less about winning and more about getting outside to enjoy the summer weather and the company of your coworkers and opponents. This season with the split into A Pool and B, the A Pool will be more competitive. However the beginner league atmosphere still applies.
The Ultimate Staff
Disclaimer: The views/comments expressed at this website are not necessarily those of The Boeing Company.